Call us for your local stockist & trade enquiries
01686 668 933
You can BUY our bottled beers online from
Traditional, Malty, Dark Ale
Available in casks, poly pins & as 500ml bottle conditioned beer.
This is our brewery tap brew...
It is named after our historic brewery tap The Sportsman, in Newtown Powys, which was once the town lock up and the home of a great many tales...
Buy bottles of Monty's Old Jailhouse
All our online sales are handled by the excellent team at Best Of British Beer.
We're proud to have them as our official online partner, where you can purchase bottles or cases of Monty's Old Jailhouse and our other beers.
They provide full UK & European delivery options.
Winner of a Great Taste Gold Star 2013.
CAMRA Champion Bitter
of Wales 2016
The Cyclops Scheme
Cyclops Beer is a way of describing beer so that you can find out quickly and easily what a beer will look, smell and taste like.
It tells you whether a beer is hoppy or sweet and helps you to discover what you like and what you don't, so that choosing a beer becomes easier in the future.
Over 1500 beers have been Cyclopsed and the Cyclops scheme is now becoming widely used in pubs so please look out for it. You can visit their website to find out more.
For more info please visit www.cyclopsbeer.co.uk
Welsh Venison & Monty’s Brewery Old Jailhouse Pie
Venison is a lean red meat, low in fat and cholesterol and full of flavour which is available all year round.
Serves: 4 / Prep: 25 minutes / Cooking Time: 2 hours
• 800g Welsh venison haunch steak, cubed
• 2 tbsp plain flour
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 16 baby shallots, peeled (or small onions, 1/4'd)
• 150g button mushrooms
• 6 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
• 2 rashers bacon, diced
• 1 sprig thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 300ml Monty’s Brewery – Old Jailhouse bitter
• 200ml beef stock
• 1 x 375g ready rolled puff pastry
• Beaten egg to glaze
• Sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas Mark 4.
• Toss the venison in the seasoned flour to coat. Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and fry the shallots and mushrooms until beginning to soften, transfer to a bowl.
• Add a little more oil to the pan and fry the venison in batches until lightly coloured. Remove to a bowl. Fry the bacon until golden and then return the venison and vegetables.
• Add the ale, stock, juniper berries and herbs and bring to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 1½ hours until the venison is tender. Using a slotted spoon divide the meat between 4 pie dishes. Discard the herbs and boil the liquor until it has reduced to a thick consistency.
• Pre heat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
• Cut the pastry to fit the pie dishes. Brush the rims of the dishes with water and lay the pastry over the filling. Brush with egg glaze and sprinkle with Sea salt if you wish. Bake for 25 minutes until golden and puffed.
The Monty's Brewery Tap
Situated in Newtown, Powys, The Sportsman was winner of Montgomeryshire CAMRA Pub of the Year 2014.
Visit www.hophouseinns.co.uk for info.
Our NEW Visitor Centre
We recently acquired ownership of The Cottage in Montgomery.
This has become our new visitor centre, tasting room & brewery shop.
Click here to learn more!
Come and see our pilot plant at our visitor centre, where you can watch our brewers creating unique, one off brews; which you can then purchase at the bar!
Click here to learn more!